Operations Manager : Guernsey Sea Farms
We need a dynamic and versatile person with strong leadership skills to take over the overall running of this business. This would suit a good communicator with both practical and administrative expertise and with a background or qualification in a scientific, mathematical, or engineering subject.
Guernsey Sea Farms (GSF) is one of the only oyster hatcheries in the UK producing millions of oyster and clam seed for export all over the world. We also supply laboratories with marine organisms for ecotoxicological studies. See website for more information
The operations manager would be responsible for all farm operations and would be expected to learn and take part in all aspects of the business; working indoors in the office and hatchery and outdoors in the nursery. The manager would be expected to deal with customers and would also need to plan and manage shipments. Training will be on the job learning from the current owner managers who are intending to reduce their role in future,
About the role:
- Ensuring the smooth running of the operations and general care of livestock.
- Leading the small team
- Planning production, forecasting and allocating seed
- Communicating with customers and suppliers
- Logistics: booking and arranging shipments
- Responsible for bookkeeping and other administrative duties
- Responsible for smooth running of computers – backups, updates, security
- Responsible for general maintenance – providing back up to the nursery manager
- Responsible for all Health and Safety aspects of the business
- Travel to visit customers, other hatcheries, research establishments and conferences
- Leadership skills
- Problem-solving attitude
- High degree of computer literacy
- Tactful assertiveness
- Well organised with the ability to prioritise and plan work effectively
- Well motivated with plenty of initiative
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Good communication skills – both verbal and written
- Must have the right to work in the UK and ideally a right to work in Guernsey
- An interest in marine life, aquaculture or nurturing livestock or plants
- Practical skills (such as plumbing, electrics, wood and metal work) and experience would be ideal but can be learnt on the job.
- Scientific, mathematical, or engineering background and/or qualified to degree level.
What we offer
An unusual, interesting, varied and fulfilling job in a great location
Good bonus scheme (up to 20% of your salary per annum),
Some flexible working
29 days’ holiday per year (inclusive of public holidays) increasing to 34 after 5 years of service
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and CV to email@example.com. The cover letter should highlight the candidate’s relevant experience and qualifications, as well as their motivation for applying to work at GSF